international employment law firm alliance L&E Global

Netherlands: Palthe Oberman Memo on COVID-19

Employers who, as a result of the coronavirus, are confronted with a decrease in work of at least 20% may apply for a permit for reduction in working time for (part of) their employees from the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment (SZW). The permit will be granted for a maximum period of 6 weeks and may be extended three times up to a total of 24 weeks. If the permit is granted (or extended), the employer is to report this to the Employee Insurance Agency UWV immediately. Subsequently, by the end of the period for which the permit has been granted (or extended), the employer may apply for an unemployment (WW) benefit from UWV for the hours actually lost for those employees.

To read the original article, click here.


Palthe Oberman attorneys are available to assist you with these and other workplace issues. For more information, visit

For more information please contact Joseph Granato, Communications Manager at L&E Global at