Canada: Defining the Relationship: Employee vs. Contractor – Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti Webinar
Date: Thursday, 24 September 2020
Time: 9:00 am Eastern Daylight Time
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Staffing flexibility, job specialization, reduced payroll costs, and potential tax advantages are tempting reasons to hire independent contractors. With the significant business impacts brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, employers may be tempted to rethink the structure and classification of their workforce. However, navigating employee classifications is not always straightforward and the consequences of a misclassification can be significant.
Inspired by the recent Foodora Inc. decision finding its couriers were dependent contractors, this seminar will:
- unpack and simplify the definitions of employee, independent contractor, and dependent contractor
- evaluate the different tests set out by various agencies including the CRA, WSIB, OLRB and the Ontario courts in determining classification
- review the potential consequences of misclassifying employees
- provide tips and best practices for drafting an independent contractor agreement, and
- analyze recent case law on employee classification in emerging industries.
LSO CPD Hours: This program is eligible for up to 1.5 substantive hours.
This webinar will have a duration of 1 hour 30 minutes and is free of charge. You can register for the webinar clicking here and feel free to forward the invitation to any of your colleagues.