Mexico and the US reach an arrangement in NAFTA’s (North America Free Trade Agreement) renegotiation
Mexico and the US delegations finalized an arrangement motivated by the renegotiation of the North America Free Trade Agreement.
A Labour Chapter is introduced, very similar to Chapter 19 of the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP), where the parties are obliged to apply the principles of the International Labour Organization (ILO) relating to the following items:
- Freedom of association.
- Right to collective bargaining.
- Access to an independent labour justice.
- Acceptable work conditions with respect to minimum wages, work hours and social security and occupational safety.
- Prohibition of child labour.
- Prohibition of forced or compulsory labour.
These are binding rules of the Treaty and mechanisms are established for their observance and compliance.